Frequently Asked Questions

About Family Law Forms

Q. How do I find a blank motion form?

A. We don’t have a blank motion form.  You may be able to create your own.  If you do, remember to use your other court documents as a template and be very specific about what you are asking the court to do for you.

Also, check with your local law library. Many subscribe to Florida Pleading and Practice Forms which may have what you need.

Q. How do I find a form for a telephonic hearing? 

A. We don’t have a telephonic hearing form.  You may be able to create your own, or you may want to contact the judicial assistant of the judge assigned to hear your case to find out if they have a local form for you to use.

Also, check with your local law library. Many subscribe to Florida Pleading and Practice Forms which may have what you need.

Q. Where do I file the forms?

A. You can file the completed forms at the local clerk’s office which is at the nearest courthouse, or online through the E-Filing Portal.

Q. How much does it cost to file a petition and open a case?

A. Call your local clerk of court.  They can tell you the current fees that must be paid when you file paperwork for each type of case.

Q. Why can’t I find a form on your website?

A. The website only has some family law forms for some types of cases. Other organizations, such as The Florida Bar, also create forms for different types of cases.

Also, check with your local law library. Many subscribe to Florida Pleading and Practice Forms which may have what you need.

Other types of forms may be listed on your local court website:

Q. Do you have any forms in foreign languages?

A. Only one form – 12.910(a) Summons: Personal Service on an Individual – is provided in a language other than English.

Q. Things have changed and I need to change the amount I get for child support.  What do I need to do?

A. The Florida State Courts System’s Self-Help Center provides family law forms that have been approved by the Florida Supreme Court. We can guide you to our forms regarding custody/ time-sharing. However, we cannot provide legal advice or make legal determinations including telling you which forms to choose or how to proceed with your case.

Each form has instructions that explain the circumstances in which the forms may be used, information regarding filing, service, other forms that may be necessary, etc.

As a self-represented litigant, it is your responsibility to determine which forms work best for your situation.

Our custody/time-sharing forms include:

  • 12.902(d) Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Affidavit
  • 12.902(e) Child Support Guidelines Worksheet
  • 12.905 (a) Supplemental Petition to Modify Parenting Plan/Time-Sharing Schedule and Other Relief
  • 12.905(b) Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support
  • 12.905(d) Supplemental Petition for Temporary Modification of Parenting Issues for Child(ren) of Parent Activated, Deployed, or Temporarily Assigned to Military Service

Read the instructions to decide whether any of these forms would be helpful to you.  If neither form is relevant to your situation, contact one of the local self-help centers or your county courthouse.

Find 12.902 forms and Find 12.905 forms.

Q. I want to end my marriage.  What do I do?

A. While Florida Courts Help cannot provide specific legal advice, we can direct you to our website where you can view our divorce (also known as dissolution of marriage) forms.

Some of our divorce (dissolution of marriage) forms include: 12.900-12.909

  • Form 12.901(a) Petition for Simplified Dissolution of Marriage
  • Form 12.901(b) (1) Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with Dependent or Minor Child (ren)
  • Form 12.901(b) (2) Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with Property but No Dependent or Minor Child (ren)
  • Form 12.901(b) (3) Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with No Dependent or Minor Child (ren) or Property

Find Divorce / Dissolution of Marriage forms / Review the steps in What Happens in Court

Q. I’ve just lost my job.  Can I pay less alimony?

A. Maybe. You can ask the court to change how much you pay if you have had a substantial change in circumstances since the original order was issued. Please review form 12.905(c) to see if this form will work for you in your particular situation.  Please read the instructions for the form carefully.

Q. Can I talk to the judge by myself?

A. You cannot talk with the judge with only one party present. Judges are not allowed to speak to you unless the other party is present or has been properly notified. If you have something you need to tell the judge, you must ask for a hearing and give notice to the other party or file a written statement in the court file and send a copy of the written statement to the other party.