In many cases, there are often crucial issues at stake such as dividing property and debt and the custody, visitation, and support of children. For these reasons, it is always best to talk to a lawyer when things get complicated and confusing.
If you cannot afford a lawyer, legal help is available at free or reduced fees. Organizations below can help in many areas of law beyond family law.
Free and Low-Cost Legal Aid
FLORIDA LAW HELP
Areas of law include: Family Law, Domestic Violence, Immigration, Housing, Public Benefits, Seniors, Consumer, Community Education, and Education.
You can find legal educational materials, sample forms, and information about the courts, community resources, and free and low-cost legal aid programs to help you with your legal problem.
FREE LEGAL ANSWERS
Free Legal Answers – This is a virtual legal advice clinic where you can ask a question and get an answer.
How it works:
See if you qualify / Ask a question / Check your email / Log back in for your answer
THE FLORIDA BAR
Find a Lawyer / The Florida Bar Referral Service – This service is designed to make it easy for you to contact a lawyer if you have a legal problem … and don’t know who to call. It will place you in direct contact with The Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service maintained as a public service by The Florida Bar.
Special Rates: The Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service also has established Low Fee and Elderly Panels for clients in need. If your situation qualifies you for referral to one of these specialty panels, you will receive a free initial 30-minute office consultation.
Informational Phamplets and Videos: The Florida Bar offers 47 consumer pamphlets about many legal issues including divorce, adoption, wills, small claims, guardianship, and more. These pamphlets are not a substitute for hiring an attorney, but they provide basic legal information about the topics they cover. Videos are also available on select topics.
LOCAL BAR ASSOCIATION’S LAWYER REFERRAL SERVICE
Local Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service – The Local Bar Association Lawyer Referral Services cover the following counties: Baker, Broward, Clay, Collier, Dade, Duval, Escambia, Franklin, Gadsden, Hillsborough, Jefferson, Lee, Leon, Liberty, Nassau, Orange, Palm Beach, Pinellas, Santa Rosa, and Wakulla.
Legal Aid Near You
Information about local services can be found online through the websites listed below.
- Florida Rural Legal Services (serving the Tampa Bay area: Dade City, New Port Richey, St. Petersburg, and Tampa)
- Bay Area Legal Services
- Brevard County Legal Aid, Inc.
- Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida, Inc. (serving 12 counties in Central Florida: Citrus, Hernando, Lake, Marion, Sumter, Orange, Osceola, Putnam, Volusia, and Seminole counties)
- MyFloridaCounty.com (Child Support)
- Florida Legal Services, Inc. (locations in Lake Worth, Miami, Newberry, and Tallahassee)
- Florida Justice Institute – Miami
- Florida Rural Legal Services (serving Bellglade, Fort Myers, Fort Pierce, Lakeland, Punta Gorda, and West Palm Beach)
- Heart of Florida Legal Aid Society, Inc. (serving Hardee, Highlands, and Polk Counties)
- Gulfcoast Legal Services (serving Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas and Sarasota counties)
- Jacksonville Area Legal Aid
- LawHelp.org is the gateway to legal aid providers in every state.
- Lee County Legal Aid Society, Inc.
- Legal Aid of Manasota (Sarasota, Bradenton and Venice)
- Legal Aid Society of Collier County, Inc.
- Legal Aid Society of the Orange County Bar Association, Inc.
- Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County
- Legal Services of North Florida (locations in Fort Walton, Panama City, Pensacola, Quincy, and Tallahassee)
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc. (serving Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties)
- Seminole County Bar Association Legal Aid Society
- Southern Legal Counsel
- Three Rivers Legal Services (serving 17 counties within Gainesville, Jacksonville, and Lake City)
- Legal Aid Service of Broward County
- Coast to Coast Legal Aid of South Florida