Small Claims

Forms Relating to a Small Claims Action

Forms needed for a small claims case may vary from county to county.

Forms that have been approved for statewide use are located within the Florida Small Claims Rules of Court Procedure. The clerk of court may also be able to provide you with copies of appropriate forms.

Find your local Clerk of Court using this website.

For the most accurate information regarding the forms necessary in your county, please contact your county self-help or small claims office.

Additional Resources

The following is a list of additional resources that may be helpful in self-help cases.

The Court Process

A small claims case is a legal action filed in county court to settle minor legal disputes where the dollar amount involved is $5,000 or less.

This amount does not include filing costs, interest, and attorneys’ fees.

Filing a Claim:

  • A small claims action begins by filing a Statement of Claim.
  • Small claim cases should be filed with the clerk in the appropriate county.
  • Filing fees for small claims actions are established in the Florida Statutes and local county ordinances.
  • The clerk of court may be able to provide information on filing fees.

After Filing a Claim:

  • After filing, each person or business being sued must be served with a summons/notice to appear in court on a date and time scheduled when the initial claim was filed.
  • A copy of the Statement of Claim should be attached as provided in the Florida Small Claims Rules.
  • Additional fees are required for service of process on the parties being sued.
  • The court may schedule an initial pretrial conference and also order the parties to mediation to resolve problems.
  • Defendants may file counterclaims, set-offs, or third party complaints as provided in the Florida Small Claims Rules.
  • Practice and procedure may vary from county to county.
  • The clerk of court in the county where the action is filed should be contacted for local practices and procedures.

The court cannot collect money damages for you. You may wish to consult with an attorney for advice on how to collect a judgment.